[Avodah] Court System Models

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Sun Jan 20 09:44:53 PST 2008

It just occured to me this week that the US court system is almost
exactly Yitro's advice. The more high-profile (and big) a court case is,
the higher it gets pushed in the courts until it could reach the supreme
court. Contrast this with the Halachik process, where the average person
asks their rabbi who, if he doesn't know the answer ask his rav etc.

Kol Tuv,
~Liron Kopinsky
 ====================================

What I wonder is what was the mechanism for issues moving up the food
chain.  Where could different "states" (shvatim, localities) have
differing psak and when did the sanhedrin have the right and or duty to
unify? Or would a local bet din not give psak if it weren't 100% sure?

KT

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.