[Avodah] Malaachim and Brachot

Gila Atwood gila at atwood.co.il
Sun Jan 20 15:49:25 PST 2008

re brochos of malaachim and related beings, I was discussing this with Akiva
earlier today.  This reminded him of the struggle of Yaakov Avinu with the
Sar of Esav and the subsequent request for a brocho and granting of it. I
thought, good point, I'd throw it out to the group. Any thoughts?

>> Asking a friend to say tehillim for a sick person is clearly mutar. Praying to a demigod is not.

>>At what point does one make the transition to being like a friend and permissable to being like a demigod.

>> The friend has bechira.  An malach does not, and neither does a niftar.  A "demigod" is either a
 malach that someone is misidentifying or a non-existant entity, but  in either case it is being treated as if it has a bechira that it
does not.