[Avodah] FW: chemotherapy

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 18:51:19 PST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 1:19 PM, Michael Makovi <mikewinddale at gmail.com> wrote:

> What you say sounds reasonable. Indeed, I haven't ever seen an
> Orthodox author claim that we can go against the Mishna and Talmud.
>
> Mikha'el Makovi

If the Gaonim are considered orthodox then they "went against" Mishna and
Talmud in many places.

They even were mevateil entire realms of the talmud [e.g. medical] as
non-operative.
You also migth want to research subjects such as aveilus by using the Bavli
and the Rambma [alos Semachos] and look at the Rema and see how much as
'morphed" from Talmudic norms.

Tosafos says the Mishna in Beitza re: Dancing/Slapping/Clapping is not
operative in our society [see IM cited below for an explanation of this]

Also see the Rabiya re; Hasiba. {albeit there is a yerushalmi supporting his
read, I am curious that the poskim seem to ignore this fact in defending the
Rabiya]

Also See the Taz in orach Haim 46:6 re:hanosein layor'eih ko'ach and   IM
Orach Haim 2 #100 in which he posits a method for being mevateil Talmudic
g'zeiros [at least post facto].

Also See Ta sham re: Rabbeinu Tam and Or Zarua re: texts such as Seder Rav
Amram Gaon etc.

Se Steinsalz's Hadnobbok on Talmud  re: masechtos ketanos - e.g. Maseches
Soferim sometimes Trumps Bavli re: kiros and haftoros.

Also the Msoertic text trumps Bavli re: the spelling of k'dar-La'omer [see
Hullin]

There are dozens if not hundreds of more cases.

--

Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com