[Avodah] Shabbos Elevator Pitch

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Sat Jan 19 18:27:23 PST 2008

R' Gil recently posted on Hirhurim :
 "R. Yaakov horowitz's latest column quotes a woman who describes the
beauty of Shabbos in that it is 1) a time to be with family, 2) a time
to unwind and 3) grow closer to God. I believe that only two of these
three reasons have support from medieval authorities.

R. Sa'adia Ga'on (Emunos Ve-Dei'os 3:2) lists the following logical
reasons for Shabbos and holidays, which he believes is generally about
obedience to God but has secondary reasons as well
1.	to rest from work
2.	to spend time acquiring wisdom
3.	for extended prayer
4.	to meet with others to study religion
I find it noteworthy that he did not include in his list anything about
family gatherings and spending time together. He did add "and other
similar things" but I find it farfetched to think he meant spending time
with one's family. (Note also his distinction between acquiring wisdom
and studying religion, which I think might be sanction for studying
philosophy on Shabbos.)

The Sefer Ha-Chinukh (no. 32) suggests that Shabbos is about
strengthening traditional Jewish faith in God and Creation. This may be
my ignorance, but I am not aware of any medieval authority who claims
that Shabbos is about family bonding  <SNIP>."

I was listening to a shiur by R' D' Gottlleib (Shomrei Emunah) in which
he quoted R'YBS in the 4th volume of the Meosra Journal where he quoted
the Yerushalmi in shabbat (1:3) as including shabbat in the din of
chetzyo lachem chetzyo lashem (it does exist! The seemingly
contradictory psukim are "shabbat hu lashem" and "atzeret lashem
elokecha"). R' YBS used this to explain why the Rambam used the language
of arvit, shacharit and mincha as the time for shalosh seudot (rather
than erev...) - since tfila is the primary lashem it must be balanced by
eating - the primary lachem.

KT
Joe Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.