[Avodah] Yisro "The Minyan of Commandments"

Richard Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sat Jan 19 15:57:00 PST 2008

The Torah states regarding the preparation for receiving the Torah at
Mount Sinai: "And the Israelites encamped there near the
mountain." (Exodus 19:2)

The Hebrew word for "encamped" is "vayichan." What is particularly
interesting is that the second time "vayichan" is used it is in the
singular form; the grammatically correct form would be
"vayachanu" (which is used the first time in the sentence). What do we
learn from the word "vayichan"?

Rashi tells us that the singular form is used to tell us that they
encamped "as one person with a single desire." From here Rabbi
Yeruchem Levovitz commented that we see that the love of our fellow
man is a prerequisite for accepting the Torah.

Rabbi Yitzchok of Vorki noted that the word "vayichan" besides meaning
"encamped" also comes from the word "khain," which means "grace" or
"favor." That is, the people found favor in the eyes of one another
and therefore found favor in the eyes of the Almighty.

When you just see the faults and shortcomings of another person, you
become distant from him or her. However, when you see the good and
positive traits in other people, you become closer to them. This unity
is a fundamental requirement for accepting the Torah and certainly for
keeping it properly.

How is this developed? We find in the book Nachal Kidumim (by the
great scholar, R' Chaim Yosef Dovid Azulai, known as the Chida) that
togetherness between people is possible only when there is humility.
When the Israelites came to Mount Sinai, which is the symbol of
humility, they internalized this attribute.

When you have humility, you do not feel a need to gain power over
others or feel above them by focusing on their faults. When you have
the trait of humility you can allow yourself to see the good in
others. The traits of love for others, seeing the good in them, and
having humility go hand in hand. By growing in these traits you make
yourself into a more elevated person who is worthy of receiving the
Torah.

Based on Growth Through Torah by Rabbi Z. Pliskin

The following was done just for fun, so those who do not appreciate
g’matria, feel free to ignore.

The g'matria of Noach is 58. The word "khain" [58] means grace or
favor (which Noah found).

  The g’matria of Sarah is 505.  The word “V’la-a-voseinu” [505] means
“and to our forefathers” (or patriarchs). Sarah was the wife of the
first patriarch.'

The g’matria of Yisro is 616. The word “HaTorah” [616] means “The
Torah.” Yisro was the father-in-law of the most important prophet who
received “The Torah.” Also, Rashi informs us that Yisro had seven
names - Re'uel, Yeser, Yisro, Chovev, Chever, Keini, and Putiel. He
was called Yeser (addition) for he advised Moshe in the matter of the
judicial system, thereby adding on to "The Torah." When he converted
and fulfilled the Mitzvos the letter "Vav" was added to his name,
hence the name Yisro.

The g’matria of Korach is 308. The word “kivro” [308] means “his
burial place” (or his grave).  Korach talked himself right into “his
burial place.”

The g’matria of Balak is 132. The word “avono” [132] means “his
iniquity.” In thinking of Balak, we can only think of “his
iniquity” (in the collective sense).

R Wolberg