[Avodah] What was actually written on the luchos, zachor

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Jan 15 05:06:23 PST 2008

Around August 12, 2007, there was a thread on "what was actually written on
the luchos" and I just came across this exchange from way back then -- which I
 want to comment on.  I had written this:

>>I don't know "who" says it but it is commonly said that the first  five are

bein adam laMokom and the second five are bein adam  lachaveiro, strongly
suggesting a parallel structure that wouldn't  be obvious if, say, four
dibros  were
actually written on one luach  and six on the other.<<

In response, R' Chaim Manaster wrote  this:

>>A friend of mine, a musmach of Ner Yisrael, R. Yehoshua  Honigwachs, has a
thesis that the parallel 5 dibros on each luach are  megaleh a structure of
Torah as a whole. These five main concepts  each one indicated in one of the 5
parallel dibros (one lamokom and the  other lachaveiro) lead to an
understanding of the basic structure (unity)  of  (Chamisha Chumshei) Torah. Thus Torah
can be analyzed as  follows:  the 1st commandment's underlying theme
represented in   Bereishis, the 2nd commandment's main theme in Shemos and so on. Then,
within  each chumosh it's parshios can further be subdivided at the next level
by  sub-themes based on each of the five dibros and so on to lower  levels of
subdivision. (Sort of like Chesed shebeGevura etc.)

He spells out this thesis in a book he authored  "The Unity of Torah"
published by Feldheim (1991) with a short foreword from  R. Yaakov Weinberg, zt"l The
Rosh HaYeshiva of Ner Yisrael, which seems to be  more of a haskoma than a
foreword, in which RYH puts forward his  thesis and illustrates it by examples
from Bereishis. I suspect that this  thesis deserves a much wider exposure than
it has received to  date.<<

I found that post extremely interesting but didn't comment at the time
because I was upset at myself for something I had failed to do because I  got too
distracted by the internet, so I fined myself one week  without posting to A/A.
 (I need AA for A/A actually.)  And then  I failed to get back to this, I put
it aside and forgot about it.   Here is what I meant to write:

I seem to think that there was some such structure-of-structures in the
Chumash discussed in Natan Slifkin's book *The Science of Torah* but I don't  have
my copy anymore. ( I must have lent it to someone who never returned  it.)
There's nothing like it in the re-issued book, now called *The  Challenge of
Creation.*  I wish I still had *The Science of Torah* so I  could go back and
look.

The structure-of-structures in the Chumash -- the same pattern seen on a
larger scale replicated on a smaller scale -- was reminiscent of the repeating
patterns seen in the field of math known as "fractals."  In fact IIRC there
was a beautiful photograph of a fractal mathematical figure on the front cover
of *The Science of Torah.*

--Toby  Katz