[Avodah] charging ribis to a Jew / non-Jew (Micha Berger)

Alan Rubin alanrubin1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 05:01:28 PST 2008

R' Micha Berger wrote:
> Charging interest isn't really wrong ("inherently immoral"), and thus
> not a middos issue. However, brothers should have an achdus haleiv,
> and ribis causes pirud.

I seem to remember a passage in Ezehu Neshech where someone has a Hava Amina
that they might be allowed to charge their son interest because the
difficulty it would cause would be a useful lesson. I think that at the time
of the Gemara, ribis was regarded as something that could cause people
immense problems. If that is true then I would have thought that charging
interst is indeed a 'middos issue'.

Alan