[Avodah] Rabbi Henkin

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:21:27 PST 2008

Was [Avodah] Chiyuv l'kabel gerim

>Rabbi Henkin...

I'm not sure how well Rabbi (Yehuda) Henkin is known. He received his
semicha from his grandfather, Rabbi Yosef Eliyahu Henkin, who in turn
was a famed posek and received semicha from the Ridbaz, Rabbi Baruch
Ber Leibovitz, and the Aruch haShulchan, and was called by his teacher
Rabbi I. Z. Meltzer, "my dear and beloved,...your admirer and
friend,...my friend and cherished haGrai'h". Rabbi Meltzer exclaimed
that at 16 years old, during his examination to be admitted at Rabbi
Meltzer's yeshiva, Rabbi Henkin the elder knew Eruvin better than did
Rabbi Meltzer. Equality Lost has the first serious English biography
of Rabbi Henkin the elder.

Mikha'el Makovi