[Avodah] Chiyuv l'kabel gerim

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Mon Jan 7 02:19:31 PST 2008

R' Yosef Gavriel Bechhofer wrote:
> I see no evidence from these sources for your position.

You are making an assertion based upon your sevora. You haven't brought
any sources that state what you seem to be such an obvious position.

>>  *Rashi[2] <#_ftn2>(Yevamos 47b): If he withdraws * - and doesn’t become
>> a convert *Let him withdraw – *and it is of no concern of ours.
>>

> That is because he clearly was not interested in the full scope of Judaism.

How do you know that? The obvious meaning of Rashi is that we don't get
excited about making converts and thus if a non-Jew loses interest it is
of no concern to us. Maybe if he had been given some encouragement he
would have realized that his objections were not significant. However
Rashi is saying - I don't care if a non-Jew converts. Obviously once he
converts the obligation of loving the ger becomes operative. Where do
you see that it is desirable to increase the number of converts?

> It would be patently absurd for the Torah to command us so many times to
> love geirim if we were not meant to facilitate the process. Chazal's
> precautions require us to notify a potential Ger of the full extent of
> his undertaking.

Sources? So far you haven't offered a single one. We are to love them
once they convert. Where does it say we should encourage or facilitate
the conversion of non-Jews?

It is important to note that there is a conflation of two issues here.
Accepting the convert and the historical, sociological and psychological
reality that most of the time the convert  is not successful and is
detrimental to the Jewish people.

On the one hand there is clearly an advantage to increase the ranks of
those who truly serve G-d through Torah. However the statements I have
cited deal with the reality that our Sages throughout the ages have
experienced that  there is a significant downside to converting someone
who is not the ideal - and that the typical convert is far from ideal.
Thus we have gedolim such as the Achiezer and Rav Moshe Feinstein who
say they have nothing to do with converting people because of the high
failure rate.

Consequently on the ideal level I would agree with you. However on the
day to day level of reality - most of the time the acceptance of geirim
is in fact detrimental to the Jewish people. That is why various
communities (e.g., Syrian) have banned the acceptance of geirim.

There is a parallel discussion in Chazal as to whether it is better to
be born or not (Eiruvin 13b; Berachos 17a). For most people (and souls)
the answer is no.

In sum, there is no chiyuv to faciliate the conversion of a non-Jew.
Would appreciate sources - not servora - that says otherwise.

Daniel Eidensohn