[Avodah] Fasting on YK

Ilana Sober ilanasober at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 22:10:04 PST 2008

As has already been noted, the questioner should mention (and the
posek should ask for) the exact medical requirement for fasting, i.e.,
risk factors beyond the simple fact of pregnancy.

The physician and the questioner should also be aware that fasting on
YK takes precedence over attending shul and even davenning. I remember
a Jewish-but-not-halachically-knowledgable doctor once told my husband
z"l not to fast on YK. When my husband asked for a more detailed
explanation of the risks, the doctor explained that fasting would not
be dangerous for him, but would certainly prevent him from going to
shul! (There were other years when fasting would have been dangerous
and he did eat on YK.)

AFAIK, if no one else is available, the husband should also stay home
and take care of his wife and/or kids if that will enable the wife to
fast.

- Ilana