[Avodah] "My Sin Is Not A Perfume"

Elazar M. Teitz remt at juno.com
Sun Jan 6 20:52:02 PST 2008

R.Zev Sero wrote:

<The pasuk says "Esav is a brother to Yaacov [...] but I loved Yaacov
and hated Esav" (Malachi 1:2-3).  This shows that Hashem's choice of
Yaacov over Esav happened *before* there were any differences between
them, at a time when they were absolutely identical and there was no
basis at all for choosing one over the other.>

      There is certainly nothing in the pasuk itself which "shows that Hashem's choice of Yaacov over Esav happened *before* there were any differences between them."  There is no mention at all as to the why; there is only the what.  Indeed, all the commentaries I have seen who discuss the issue say that the hatred to Esav was because of his actions, and the contrast is to show that the love for Yaakov was because of himself, not merely on account of his being zera Avaraham v'Yitzchak, since otherwise Esav, too, would have shared in that love, as he was equally their descendant.

     And why should the RShO hate Esav without a reason? V'chi leis din v'leis dayan?

EMT