[Avodah] Accent on the Right Syllable in Krias Shema

Michael ORR michaelorr at rogers.com
Sun Jan 6 17:47:42 PST 2008

MICHAEL ORR WROTE:

>   OC 61 deals with the requirement

for proper pronunciation of krias shema,

 but unless I am missing something there

 appears to be an absence of any discussion

 of the need to put the accent on the proper

 syllable (as indicated by the masoretic text).

Can anyone provide an authoritative source

 for the obligation to put the accent on the

 proper syllable?

ZEV SERO WROTE:

61:24 requires saying KSh with the ta'amim

 as they are written in the Torah.

The ta'amim are the accents.

MO REPLY:  The Rema, however, appears to interpret “ta’amim”

as referring here primarily to the niggun, and says that the

 Ashkenazi custom is not to say the KSh with ta’amim

(except for those who are particular – hamedakdekim machmirim).

So I come back to the question whether anyone has an explicit

source for the obligation to say KSh with the accents on the

proper syllables according to the masoretic text, especially

for those words where wrong accents would change the meaning.?