[Avodah] Fasting on YK

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Wed Jan 2 06:30:23 PST 2008

Meir Shinnar wrote:
> Most obstetricians today would presumably (I am not an obstetrician)
> argue that fasting poses some risks for all women.  As above, there is
> statistical data on fasting increasing the delivery rate - as well as
> mechanistic information to make this plausible.

There are ways of testing whether the risk increases for everyone (e.g.
can one measure something correlated with miscarriages which actually
increases for everyone in a study) or for an unidentifiable
subpopulation.  Has anyone actually done this? If what you say is true,
of course, there would be ethical problems in performing such a study.

David Riceman