[Avodah] About Lashon Hara about non-Jews

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 06:00:29 PST 2008

>>RMichael Makovi writes, "[A]ccording to Mesechet Gerim 3:2, Vayikra
19:33 (love the ger) applies to a ger toshav."

>My Shas must be defective. It doesn't appear there, nor anywhere else
in Maseches Geirim.
> EMT

I checked the Soncino Minor Tractates (translation) as well as an old
Vilna-type edition; it was in both. Actually, it only quotes Vayikra
19:33 and another pasuk earlier in Vayikra 19 and a pasuk from Devarim
(24?), to the effect of "don't abuse him" etc., but it does not cite
the sources of these pesukim (viz. Vayikra x:y, etc.), nor does it
quote the "love the ger" part of the pasuk, so you have to know that
it is quoting a "love the ger" pasuk.

I can only assume that if one of the "love the ger" pesukim applies to
them, they all do. I see no reason why Vayikra 19:33 would apply but
not the ones in Shemot for example. So I can only assume that the
pesukim quoted are not meant to be complete.

The quote from Vayikra etc. comes immediately after the part about
their tuma'ot and taharot; it is the same halacha for some reason,
3:2.

Mikha'el Makovi