[Avodah] humility

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 14:20:45 PST 2008

<<It seems strange to me that for someone
who was considered to be the most humble Biblical character of all
time, had the chutzpah to say to the Almighty: "If you don't forgive
them, then count me out." It sounds like a threat.>>

Sorry I don't understand the question. The Hebrew "anav" does NOT mean
modest in the sense of not asserting oneself. Moshe defends the Jewish
people assertively and acts like a leader. He does not eat humble pie
and he is not a nebish.

"Anav" implies a realization that one's powers come from G-d and imply
more of an obligation than a privelege. There are several Gemarot
where people claim they are an "anav". Obviously they are not claiming
that they are nothing

>From Wikipedia

As illustrated in the person of Moses, who leads the nation of Hebrews
out of slavery in Egypt and to the "Promised Land", humility is a sign
of Godly strength and purpose, not weakness. Of this great leader, the
Bible states, "Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone
else on the face of the earth" (Numbers 12:3, NIV).

--
Eli Turkel