[Avodah] Rambam on corporality

david guttmann david.guttman at verizon.net
Sat Sep 30 19:12:55 PDT 2006

May I suggest an alternate solution:

Rambam in 1:35 writes that even children have to be taught that G-d is not
corporeal. He also says further that attributes may be taken literally. In
1:26 R. Eidensohn quoted : "thus that which is neither a body nor existent
in a body does not exist in their opinion." I read it as people can accept
either one of the two. Isn't "nor existent in a body" attributes? R.Kafah
indeed translates "Ulefichoch Toaruhu betoarim hamorim al gashmus". So
people may and can accept "attributes indicating corporeality" but may not
accept corporeality itself. I think that in 1:35 Rambam makes it quite clear
that even the simple may not accept corporeality as he enumerates a
comprhensive list: children,women, stupid ones,and those of deffective
natural disposition.

Thus because everyone must be taught that G-d is not coropreal, for them to
accept that he exists they may be taught attributes that point to
corporeality.

GCT

David Guttmann

If you agree that Believing is Knowing, join me in the search for Knowledge
at http://yediah.blogspot.com/

Ve'izen vechiker (Kohelet 12:9) subscribe to Hakirah at www.hakirah.org