[Avodah] yom kippur drasha

David Riceman driceman at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 28 05:50:40 PDT 2006

I got drafted to speak for Yom Kippur again this year at our minyan, and I
wonder if anyone can suggest improvements/emendations for the following
drasha.  There's a strict eight minute limit (extended from five on normal
Shabbasos).

1.  We read about the throngs of people watching what happened on Yom Kippur
in the Beis HaMikdah, yet Yom Kippur is not a regel.  Why come if there's no
mitzva? Contrariwise, if there's a reason to come, why not a mitzva of
aliyyah l'regel?

2.  King David applied the root "ksy" both to Rosh HaShana (bakeseh l'yom
hageinu) and Yom Kippur (ashrei ... k'suy hata'ah).

3.  On RH this alludes to the paradox of the mitzvas hayom: acknowledging
God's sovereignty.  OTOH God wants us to have free will, but OTOH the more
we recognize God's sovereignty the less free will we have.  So RH is a
hidden holiday (hence, for example, the Bible avoids any explicit
description of what RH is really about).

4.  Hazal cite "ashrei nsuy pesha ksuy hata'ah" as precedence for not
confessing sins publicly (the exceptions are a machlokes Rambam and
Ra'abad).  Analogously the passuk says "v'khol adam lo yihyeh b'ohel moed
b'vo'o lchaper bakodesh ad tzeiso".

5.  Mishnath R. Eliezer b'Rebbi Yosi explains this as a reward.  Because
Aharon was oheiv shalom and rodef shalom God granted him yir'ah, so
everyone, even malachim, were afraid to be around "b'vo'o ..."  This midrash
seems weird.  We know that Aharon was popular, the antithises of yirah,
precisely because he was oheiv shalom and rodef shalom (e.g. vayivku es
aharon kol beis yisrael).

6.  The essence of tzidkus is not failing to make mistakes, but the capacity
to correct them (ki ein tzadik ba'aretz asher ya'aseh hatov v'lo yeheta;
sheva yipol tzaddik vakam; Orot HaTshuva 5:6).  Yet one of the ways we gain
inspiration is by watching people we admire and emulating them; in this
context watching them sin is not helpful even if we later see them repent.
The yirah the midrash is talking about is precisely because everyone so
admired Aharon; they didn't want to see him when he acknowledged his own
fallibility(!)

7.  The paradox of YK is that we want to be around people we admire on YK,
so we can be helped doing tshuva, but we don't want to see them doing
tshuva; we want to see them as tzaddikim.  Hence the two faced nature of the
crowds; we want to see the Kohen Gadol bichvodo, but not in his private
moments, b'vo'o lifnay v'lifnim.

8.  The contemporary equivalent of lifnai v'lifnim is Shmonah Esraih, when
we're surrounded by pious people but we're alone with God, so we can
concentrate on our sins and and be inspired by their virtues ....

David Riceman