[Avodah] Phantom Chazal?

joshua.kay at addleshawgoddard.com joshua.kay at addleshawgoddard.com
Thu Sep 14 05:11:16 PDT 2006

<<R Moshe Yehuda Gluck <mgluck at gmail.com <mailto:mgluck at gmail.com>> writes:

"One who prohibits the permitted will end up permitting the prohibited." :

Any takers? I never heard it before. To me it sounds like a conflation of kol hamosif gorei'ah and kol hameracheim al ha'achzarim... >>

The closest I found is at the end of Yerushalmi, Terumos, ch. 5: "Just as it is forbidden to declare pure the impure, so it is forbidden to declare impure the pure" (see here http://www.mechon-mamre.org/b/r/r1605.htm).

This reference comes from R. A.Z. Zivitofsky, "What's the truth about...nikkur achorayim", Jewish Action, Fall 2006, footnote 17 (see link here:
http://www.ou.org/pdf/ja/5767/fall67/58-63.pdf)

Kol tuv
Dov Kay

This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee, is strictly confidential and may also be legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee please do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it or any attachments. Instead, please email it back to the sender and then immediately permanently delete it.

Addleshaw Goddard is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (with registered number OC318149) and is regulated by the Law Society. A list of members' names is open to inspection at our registered office, 150 Aldersgate Street, London, EC1A 4EJ.

Additional terms and conditions are available on our Web site - http://www.addleshawgoddard.com