[Avodah] Sukkah GT 20 amot high

hankman salman at videotron.ca
Wed Sep 13 13:20:47 PDT 2006

RAM wrote:
My conclusion is that when the halacha talks about "sitting in the
shade of the s'chach", this is an idiomatic phrase which actually
means, "sitting in a place which WOULD be in the shade of the s'chach
IF the sun were directly overhead."

CM responds:
I don't get it. If the sun is always considered directly overhead,  there is NEVER "tsel defanos." What is the difference between 19 amos and 21 amos?

Night never bothered me because it must mean "at some point in the day" but in  the arctic you can have entire 24/7 hour periods with the sun on or near the horizon (above or below).

Of course if it is all psychological then the actual angle of the sun is of no matter.

KVT
Chaim Manaster