[Avodah] Chazal are Infallible

Rich, Joel JRich at Segalco.com
Wed Sep 13 11:21:01 PDT 2006

I was particularly struck by the tosafot, especially on 8a s.v. kama,
which brilliantly (via an example of filling an area with strings which
are then cut and re-arranged) proved certain relationships between
squares and circles.  However, the basic issue of area and spatial
relationships are known to any high school freshman (if not earlier)
based on rudimentary equations of pi, x-squared, and the Pythagorean
theorem, which were obviously unknown to Rashi, Tosafot, and likely many
views of the gemara as well (see e.g. 8b).

SLK
I was wondering about hafoch bah in this context. Is it possible that at
one time all knowledge was attainable through Torah mesorah but at some
point that mesorah was lost, or is kulah bah not to be taken literally?
KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.