[Avodah] Shape of Luchos

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 23:11:54 PDT 2006

On 9/5/06, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 10:50:11PM -0400, Zvi Lampel wrote:
> : Some weeks ago I spent a Shabbos in the Yeshiva of Staten Island,
> : whose Aron has a depiction with the curved tops. But I then noticed that
> : going along the bottom of the luchos was a solid gold-colored curve. It
> : occurred to me that perhaps it was really a corrupted depiction ...
> :                of an open book, the way one would draw it--two curves
> : at the top and two at the bottom.
>
> I thought that it's pretty well accepted that the current image
> of the luchos is a product of Michaelangelo's creativity. (See
> <http://tinyurl.com/5ee84> for image of statue in question.)

It's much earlier than Michelangelo. An article in the first volume of
the Hebrew University's "Journal of Jewish Art" by Ruth Mellinkoff
says that the earliest known depiction of curved-top tablets is in a
manuscript from the first half of the 11th century CE.

She also says that the curved-top form is originally a representation
of a "diptych" or set of two writing tablets, so RZL's conjecture is
apparently not far away from da'at gedolim :)