[Avodah] me-rakdim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 29 08:53:02 PDT 2006

On Mon, August 28, 2006 2:51 pm, Eli Turkel wrote:
: That was exactly the question to him. He felt that body language would
: convey whether the dancer felt the kallah was beautiful or not.

Perhaps riqud was a naarative dance. Not the hula in style (given its more
fundamental tzeni'us issue), but the same notion that there is a sign-language
like layer added to the straight dancing.

I'm still not clear why we're assuming that riqud WRT tzeni'us refers to the
same thing as riqud WRT Shabbos. By Shabbos, it is lumped together with hand
clapping, IOW, the defining feature is that one is using one's feet to stamp
out a rhythm. And that's why it borders on a keli shir.

But I can't see how that's a defining feature WRT tzeni'us. When it comes to
tzeni'us, the question is one of dancing with abandon, which is why both feet
leaving the floor (something RGD and I saw on the men's side of a chasunah
last night) may be the defining feature, rather than rhythm.

-mi
http://www.aishdas.org/asp