[Avodah] Swimming

Yisrael Medad yisrael.medad at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 12:28:25 PDT 2006

> Without mechitzed swimming (and how was that arranged with the local
> authorities?) how did any of the rabbonim in Europe (and previously,
> including as far back as Chazal) arrange for this to happen?

AFAIK they didn't. I know that my zeide never taught my father to swim,
and nor did my elter-zeide teach my zeide, and I'm pretty sure that goes
back many generations, and nobody seems to have raised an objection from
the gemara in kiddushin, probably because it's not brought down lehalacha.

While not being sure, I would venture an assumption that of those Jews
living near water, i.e., rivers and bays, a certain percentage learned to
swim as young children just like anyone else would even if the Rabbis
weren't the swimming instructors or supervisors.
--
Yisrael Medad
Shiloh