[Avodah] Putting oneself in danger

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 06:45:35 PDT 2006

>I thought that i had read that under certain circumstances, yes. for
>example shimon in the middle of battle falls into a panic, starts
>screaming that they are going to be killed, and starts running away. he
>can be shot. however I can't a source for this.

It's a Rashiin last week's parhsa: http://www.answers.com/topic/deuteronomy-20

9:  And it shall be, when the officers have made an end of speaking
unto the people, that they shall make captains of the armies to lead
the people.

According to tachas.org - http://tinyurl.com/emp3b Rashi says:

Army commanders.
To station disciplinary officers at the front and to the rear,
carrying iron spears.
If anyone attempts to retreat, they are empowered to cut off their legs.
"Disciplinary officers," lit. "those who lift up"--- men who are
stationed at the edge of the battlefield to "lift up" those who
falter, and encourage them by saying, 'Get back to the battle, don't
run away!
Running away is the beginning of downfall!' (Sotah, 44:a)

- Danny