[Avodah] [Areivim] How many kolot?

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 21:55:30 PDT 2006

Taking this to Avodah at moderators' request:

On 9/20/06, Zev Sero <zev at sero.name> wrote:

> How recent, and how widespread, is the custom of 100 kolot?
> The SA seems to say the Sefardi (i.e. Spanish) custom in his day was
> to blow 61 kolot.  The Rema gives various customs, ranging from 40
> to 90.  The earliest mention of 100 I was able to find was from the
> Shelah.  So, what do the different edot actually do?
>
> In particular, the child of a friend learned in school that
> "Ashkenazim blow 100 kolot, and Sefardim blow 101".  I'm pretty sure
> that's incorrect, but since we have people here from different edot,
> perhaps we can compile a list.  E.g. what is actually done today by
> Yekkers, Oberlanders, Libyans, Syrians, Temanim, etc?

The Spanish and Portuguese in London (and here in Jerusalem where we mostly
follow London minhagim) blow 100, (not counting the final Teru'a Gedola) as
follows:

Di-meyushav :
TSRT TSRT TSRT
TST TST TST
TRT TRT TRT

No Shofar in the silent Amida. In Hhazarat Hashatz:
Malchuyot: TSRT TSRT TSRT
Zichronot: TST TST TST
Shofarot: TRT TRT TRT

In the middle of Kaddish:
TSRT TST TRT

After Kaddish:
TSRT TSRT TSRT
TST TST TST
TRT TRT TRT

Sephardi Yerushalmi also blow 100, but distributed slightly differently. In
both the silent Amida and repetition they blow TSRT TST TRT for each of M, Z
and S, and they omit the 30 kolot after Kaddish.

Shenizke lishmo'a shofaro shel Mashiahh.