[Avodah] Chazal are Infallible

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Sep 14 12:25:16 PDT 2006

On Wed, September 13, 2006 6:00 pm, RCM wrote:
: Of course not. A common response is that they knew that these values were not
: exact, but only approximations. They used these values because in halacha
: these approximations are sufficient. I am not sure if this answer can be used
: for all the later meforshim as well as it may be hard to fit into  some of
: their discussions.

This is an oft visited topic here.

Pi, sqrt(2), the number of days in a month or months in a year are all
irrational numbers. Meaning, there is no way to give an exact number, the
exact value requires an infinite number of digits after the decimal point or a
fraction of infinite digits length to represent. Simply can not be done. It is
therefore meaningless to ask why they didn't use an exact value. Estimation is
the only possibility.

The only question that remains is one of shiur: How close is "close enough"
lehalakhah. As RCM concludes as well. (But, IMHO, for slightly less compelling
reasons. I wanted to point out that the issue isn't merely pragmatic, it's the
only possible outcome.)

I think this also addresses RSK's question about approximations. You can't
deduce anything from their using an estimate over the exact value when the
exact value is irrational. As for his later question:
> I know the Vilna Gaon wrote a math book ...
> but exactly where in the Rambam do we see him discuss equations of pi,
> x-squared, and the Pythagorean theorem?

The Rambam's discussion of qidush hachodash doesn't involve any of these, but
does reflect pretty solid knowledge of spherical trig in his translation of
time to degrees. As the Chazon Ish's commentary shows, somewhere among all
diagrams and proofs. It is also hard to believe that someone who knew
Aristotle as well as the Rambam did skimmed over his discussions of geometry.