[Avodah] Chazal are Infallible

Kohn, Shalom skohn at Sidley.com
Wed Sep 13 10:26:42 PDT 2006

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I offer the following question for the "chazal are infallible" crowd:

In daf yomi, Sukkah 8, we find approximations as to the area of a circle etc. which are at best imprecise.

I was particularly struck by the tosafot, especially on 8a s.v. kama, which brilliantly (via an example of filling an area with strings which are then cut and re-arranged) proved certain relationships between squares and circles.  However, the basic issue of area and spatial relationships are known to any high school freshman (if not earlier) based on rudimentary equations of pi, x-squared, and the Pythagorean theorem, which were obviously unknown to Rashi, Tosafot, and likely many views of the gemara as well (see e.g. 8b).

Should we lose our respect for the gemara, Rashi and tosafot because their understanding of geometry was so unsophisticated?  Or do we assume that "nishtaneh ha-tevah" and that the geometric relationships of circles and squares has changed?  Or rather (my view) that it is perfectly fine for chazal to have dealt with the level of knowledge at the time, and we need not hold them to account on areas outside the purview of torah?

Putting the standard on chazal to be perfect in knowledge of all areas is more likely to bring chazal to disrepute.

SLK