[Avodah] Phantom Chazal?

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon Sep 11 15:49:47 PDT 2006

"Moshe Yehuda Gluck" _mgluck at gmail.com_ (mailto:mgluck at gmail.com)   writes:

"One who prohibits the permitted will end up permitting the  prohibited."

Any takers?

.
Not quite what you're looking for, but I immediately thought of "Kol  hamosif
gorea."  I asked an erudite neighbor where to find that, and he  reminded me
of the Rashi on Bereishis 3:3 where Chava says that they're not  allowed to
touch the tree -- whereas they really had only been commanded not to  /eat/ the
tree.  Rashi there quotes the Gemara, Sanhedrin 29a.   "Hosifah al hatzivui
lefichach ba'ah liyedei geira'on."

Rashi there also quotes Mishlei 30:6.  "Al tosf al devarav pen  yochiach
becha venichzavta."  And if you follow R' ArtScroll's suggestion  and go look at
Rashi on that pasuk in Mishlei, you find this:  "PEN  YOCHIACH BECHA
VENICHZAVTA:  Yochiach al panecha she'al yedei tosaftecha,  ata ba liyedei aveirah."
That is, "By your adding to His words you come to  do an aveirah."

Kesiva vechasima tova

--Toby  Katz