[Avodah] Idols in Museum

Yisrael Medad yisrael.medad at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 12:33:01 PDT 2006

What I'm wondering, though, particularly as someone who does a lot
of research into ancient history, is whether there's any heter for
not destroying the idols that are on display at a place like that.

Well, I am not sure one could do that without being arrested but I was told
by Yaakov Gelitz, chareidi historian, that during the Six Days War, he
accompanied some Rav whose name escapes me to Mt. Zion and when they were
there, the Rav seeing that no one was around, picked up an implement and
began smashing one of the church artifacts in fulfillment, he said, of
"titatzum" saying that this was the only opportunity one could have for this
at these times.

--
Yisrael Medad
Shiloh