[Avodah] swimming in der alter heim

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 28 08:18:49 PDT 2006

R'n CL wrote:
> > Without mechitzed swimming (and how was that arranged with the local
> > authorities?) how did any of the rabbonim in Europe (and previously,
> > including as far back as Chazal) arrange for this to happen?

In The Making of a Godol, RNK quotes his father reminescing about his
childhood swimming. In Dolhynov, there was a river with a bridge passing over
it. The bridge acted as a miechitzah between the sexes. I assume that from
the bridge one didn't have a clear view of the riverside (tree, etc.).

Arie Folger