[Avodah] Putting oneself in danger

Rich, Joel JRich at Segalco.com
Mon Aug 14 06:00:44 PDT 2006

RJR wrote:
> ... the "halachot" of war differ from what's found in shulchan
> aruch/poskim on seemingly related issues ....

> ... R' Ro-ie H"YD he was a ben torah and talmid chacham. Thus his
> instincts were most likely informed by the "lev shel torah" ....

[R' Chaim Manaster:]
> If we accept your assertion (which I believe many poskim follow)

Just to be clear-I was quoting one of my HS Rabbeim (although I have
never heard anyone contradict his statement and believe it to be
accurate

> that these dinim are different in time of war, then the question is how
>far do they take that? Normally this refers to eating treifos and chilul
>Shabbos etc., as well as killing the enemy and subjecting yourself to
>pikuach nefesh. You are adding suicide to this list.

not really since I don't know the facts of the case, it may have been
that R' Roi believed he was going to die from the grenade in any event and
the question was should he save others. In any event your question stands
and I think the answer may still well be a nuanced yes depending on the
facts and circumstances of each case as you outlined in your continuation.
May HKB"H save us from ever having these lmaaseh.

KT
Joel Rich