[Avodah] Lo Tasur

Rich, Joel JRich at Segalco.com
Mon Aug 28 18:10:55 PDT 2006

RJR writes:
> We're all familiar with Rashi's statement that even if they tell you
> that right is left you have to listen. AIUI the supercommentaries
> understand Rashi to mean this literally,   Has anyone seen a
> reconciliation of this position with the mishneh in Horiyot which
> states that a member of bet din or talmid raui lhoraah can not rely on

> bet din and if he acts on bet din's psak, knowing it's wrong, he's
> chayav

Don't know if this helps (and I haven't seen it inside as I do not have
a copy of the relevant sfarim quoted by the Sde Chemed), but the Sde
Chemed in Mareches Lamed clal 6 (chelek 3 p266) [which is on the mitzva
of lo taasur] quotes the Chida in Sefer Pesach Anayim in his chiddushim
to Rosh Hashana daf 25a in relation to the matter of Rabbi Yehoshua with
Rabbanan Gamliel that davka this is in a matter on which there is to him
katzas safek but if he knows vadai without any safek that the judge has
made a mistake he should not do as per his words - and the Sde Chemed
continues that his words are brought by HaRav Taharas Hamayim in this
marecha at ois 11 and he writes shehem d'varim peshutim b'reish Horiyos

Regards

Chana
=============================
Thanks for the cite, it's along the lines of what I've been
hearing/seeing  since my original post.  The question that now
fascinates me is how do the poskim define this vadai -can you ever be
vadai in logic or is it only in facts? Torah issue vs. rabbinic? Genius
level individual vs. not? Sanhedrin vs. other sources of "psak",Perhaps
Y"K is an exception to the rule...........

It's fascinating to watch great minds wrestle with the same data points
and try to reconcile them. It also seems to my puny mind that there was
not a clear mesora on such a basic issue.
KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.